My end of year lists always end up being a bit skewed because I’ll invariably read a lot of the best stuff the year had to offer after the year is out. Sure, if I had more free time, then maybe my list would read a little different, who knows. In any case, here’s a run down of the comics I’ve enjoyed in 2009.
I’ve also included my top 10 albums, should you require some aural accompaniment to go with your comics. Plus, I’m sick to the teeth of reading piss weak ‘best of the decade’ album lists that suggest a further atrophy of the collective musical consciousness, culminating in a revisionist orgy whereby Joy Division and The Beach Boys are repeatedly gang raped by contemporary musicians.
Hold that image in your mind and have a great 2010!
1. Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli
2. Phonogram: The Singles Club (ongoing) by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
3. Grandville by Bryan Talbot
4. King City (reprints) by Brandon Graham
5. Self Indulgence by Tom Neely
6. Criminal (ongoing) by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
7. Uptight #3 by Jordan Crane
8. Parker: The Hunter by Darwyn Cooke / Richard Stark
9. Freakangels by Warren Ellis
10. Pluto by Umezawa x Tezuka
1. Six Organs of Admittance - Luminous night
2. Silver Bullets - Free radicals
3. Oneothrix Point Never - Rifts
4. Holy Sons - Criminal’s return
5. Eagle Twin - The unkindness of crows
6. James Blackshaw - The glass bead game
7. Emeralds - S/T
8. Eleh / Nana June - Observations and momentum
9. Current 93 – Aleph at hallucinatory mountain
10. Sunn O))) – Monoliths and Dimensions